Sunday, March 14, 2010

College students speak out

College students, known for being an especially liberal fraction of the U.S. population, are eager to voice their opinions about the current political climate in Massachusetts. After several unsuccessful attempts at contacting the Boston University College Republicans and the Boston University College Democrats, I decided to interview five young people between the ages of 20 and 25. Here are their thoughts:

Steve I.

“It most significantly affected the radical healthcare bill. His election showed an example of the structure of our government successfully allowing for radical laws to only be passed after more than a majority of legislatures agree that it would be best for our country. Clearly we as a country are not ready for the radical bills that Obama secretly and discreetly tries to shove down our throats. This is best described by one of the most liberal states voting in Scott Brown, a Republican. Even though health care needs to be adjusted in our country, his election takes the pressure and forceful impulse, created by liberal American press and Obama, to pass a bill immediately. We have an issue in the U.S. in regard to healthcare but it needs to be carefully planned out and analyzed, not rushed through legislature without them fully agreeing it is good for all citizens of the U.S.”

Emily F.

“I believe this was a huge wake up call for both liberals and Republicans. I think once Obama won and it essentially became ‘Obama Nation’, liberals became overconfident and cocky, and Republicans retreated with defeat. I think the liberals saw Coakley as an automatic win especially with it being in Massachusetts, but I think a lot of liberals have become fed up with Obama and all of his broken promises. Coakley was a terrible candidate and I think liberals saw this and either didn't vote or went for Brown. I think this was a huge win for Republicans (whether Brown is really that great or not). The Republicans needed this confidence boost and a bit more power to wake up and start making changes in the Senate and what bills are getting passed. I don't think this election will change Mass much, but I think it will make Liberals rethink their candidates and realize these ‘liberal states’ aren't always an easy win.”

Nicole D.

“He did a really good job before, so I think he'll make a good senator. I think he'll help provide a different perspective especially because Massachusetts is such a liberal state.”

Celeste C.

“I’m shocked it happened just considering Massachusetts is such a liberal state, but I think it shows progress in that politics are no longer rooted in two, separate, unrelated parties. Now, there is a lot more crossing over it seems, where liberals are voting for conservatives and vice versa, depending on the state of the country at the time of the election.

Brian T.

“I believe that the election of Scott Brown to the Massachusetts state senate is an important change to the political atmosphere in Massachusetts. Being a predominantly liberal state for many years, it demonstrates the importance of voting for not necessarily a party, but a belief system. It showed to Americans that the citizens of Massachusetts were unhappy with the way things were going, and the election of Scott Brown showed that they wanted a change. It also showed Americans' disgruntled view towards President Obama's healthcare bill.”

No comments:

Post a Comment